In case if you are looking forward to renting or sell out your home in the UK, EPC is one important document which you will need in order to do so. It has been made mandatory by law that almost all properties in the UK are required to provide with an EPC to the new tenant or buyer. Now, the big question is what is this EPC thing and why is it so important?
What is an EPC?
EPC which stands for Energy Performance Certificate is a guide that is provided by the owner of the house to his new would-be tenant or buyer. It provides information on the property’s energy consumption, the expense of running the property and recommendations to improve the energy consumption of the property. It rates a property from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for up to 10 years.
What is the Importance of EPC?
EPC may serve the following important purposes:
- It helps the prospective tenant or buyer to know the current energy efficiency of the property and whether or not any changes have to be made.
- It gives buyers a rough estimation of the cost of running the property.
- The certificate also provides with important recommendations on how to reduce the energy costs of the property.
- The certificate rates a property from A to G based on the property’s energy efficiency.
- Buyers rely on the results of an EPC before; they decide to buy or rent a particular property.
So, if you want to sell your house on short notice, it’s better that you already apply for an EPC in case if, you haven’t applied for it yet because without an EPC certificate you may put your potential buyers off.